Document Type

Article

Language

eng

Format of Original

13 p.

Publication Date

2016

Publisher

Royal Society of Chemistry

Source Publication

Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics

Source ISSN

1463-9076

Original Item ID

DOI: 10.1039/C6CP02224C; PubMed PMID: 27364351

Abstract

Rigorous calculations of scattering resonances in ozone are carried out for a broad range of rotational excitations. The accurate potential energy surface of Dawes is adopted, and a new efficient method for calculations of ro–vibrational energies, wave functions and resonance lifetimes is employed (which uses hyper-spherical coordinates, the sequential diagonalization/truncation approach, grid optimization and complex absorbing potential). A detailed analysis is carried out to characterize distributions of resonance energies and lifetimes, their rotational/vibrational content and their positions with respect to the centrifugal barrier. Emphasis is on the contribution of these resonances to the recombination process that forms ozone. It is found that major contributions come from localized resonances at energies near the top of the barrier. Delocalized resonances at higher energies should also be taken into account, while very narrow resonances at low energies (trapped far behind the centrifugal barrier) should be treated as bound states. The absolute value of the recombination rate coefficient, its pressure and temperature dependencies are obtained using the energy-transfer model developed in the earlier work. Good agreement with experimental data is obtained if one follows the suggestion of Troe, who argued that the energy transfer mechanism of recombination is responsible only for 55% of the recombination rate (with the remaining 45% coming from the competing chaperon mechanism).

Comments

Accepted version. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, Vol. 18 (2016): 19194-1206. DOI. © Royal Society of Chemistry 2016. Used with permission.

Included in

Chemistry Commons

Share

COinS