This data set consists of the text of recorded sound interviews collected by Marquette Archives staff from fans of English author J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973), along with information describing the interviewees (e.g. Age, Gender, Location). Each fan was given up to three minutes total to respond to three general questions: When did you first encounter the works of J.R.R. Tolkien? Why are you a Tolkien Fan? What has he meant to you? Archives staff transcribed each interview and prepared the sound recordings and transcripts for publication in an online digital collection. The transcript text and descriptive metadata were also compiled in this data set, intended for analysis by scholars of Tolkien fandom and fandom studies. Personal names have been withheld; each fan interviewee is assigned a unique identifier number instead.
Éoreds 1-2 published Aug 1, 2019;
Corrections to Éoreds 1-2 made:
- 0067 Illegible (????) word in transcript identified as ‘Katmandu.”
- 0076 Age corrected from 62 to 26.
- 0108 State corrected from Wisconsin to Wyoming
- 0132 Gender corrected from Female to Male
- 0203 City corrected. No city listed now.
Éored 3 published Nov 26, 2019
Éored 4 published Oct 23, 2020
Éored 5 published May 14, 2021;
Correction to Éored 4 made:
- 0406 Gender corrected from Female to Non-Binary
Fliss, William M., "Tolkien Fandom Oral Histories Éoreds 1-5" (2019). Tolkien Oral Histories. 1.